Saturday, June 30, 2007

From My Heart

Blog #10 from Galmi, Niger, West Africa (#1-9 below this blog)

I’m really ready to come home but we have six more days left. At night I’ve been getting in bed telling myself, “one more day down.” It saddens me to feel this way because I know it’s very selfish and whimpy, but I want my own bed, I want to open a closet door without being worried a lizard or a spider will be in there, I want my own bathroom and a clean house (OK, my house isn’t that clean, but it doesn’t get as dusty and dirty as this house gets). I’m tired of feeling hot, dirty and stinky. I’m tired of feeling sweat trickling down my back or dripping into my eyes. I’m just plain tired.

To all the mothers: Do you know those times when you go to bed at night and tell yourself, “Today I was a good mom”? I’ve been crying a lot lately because I haven’t had one of those days since I’ve been here. I am extremely impatient and grumpy with the boys and have so little energy that even playing with them is difficult. And the last thing I want to do is cuddle with one of them on my lap because of the heat.

Ben goes to work at the hospital and everyone loves him – he’s the “hero” – he is helping people and doing what he loves in a country that desperately needs doctors. I, however, am doing the exact same thing that I do at home – taking care of the house and children – and I’m not doing it well. Locals and other missionaries thank me for coming. Thank you? For what?! I’m not contributing anything. My “job” doesn’t matter, except to Ben and the boys, and I’m failing. Yesterday Ben walked in from work and I had just sat down and begun to cry. It’s a constant struggle trying to keep my spirits up and I’m not doing that well either.

Please – I don’t want a bunch of emails telling me, “Oh Carrie, you’re a good mother…etc.” I haven’t been and I’m not looking for pats on the back – I’m trying to tell you my reality – my heart.

I just want to go home and be a good mom. Maybe I’ll be a better mom because of this experience. I don’t know. I do know God called our family here (after all, He provided Kit Kat bars and Bounty paper towels) and I know God has a plan for my life. People tell me that true peace comes when you’re in the center of God’s will for your life. Ben has peace, I don’t. Does that mean I’m not supposed to be here? No, I don’t believe that at all. I need God’s peace in my life, a “peace that passes all understanding.” (“Then God's peace, which goes beyond anything we can imagine, will guard your thoughts and emotions through Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:7)

Thank you for reading my blog and for allowing me to be completely honest.

Lizard update: I think the lizard I “caught” recognizes me – there is one lizard that's been glaring at me and I think it's him. He is about 8 inches long but almost became a 2 by 4! I get woozy every time I think of it.

5 comments:

Stacey said...

I'm so glad you shared your heart Carrie. That's the part of missions work that we all need to hear about. I'm praying for you.

Joan White said...

Well, first of all, the lizard isn't glaring- he's trying to make eye contact to thank you in his lizard way for saving his life.
Next, from a grandmother who just tried to survive ONE WEEK with 3 little kids in an air conditioned house with all the amenities, and came up really short on patience everyday, I'd say bravo for going there in the first place and what mom's spirits wouldn't be low-- but- since you are such a planner and problem solver, I bet if you go back in the future you'll be figuring out what to take to fight red dust, heat and stink!!! ( and probably be developing anti-lizard traps). I heard Carina talking to her dolls about "My grandma plays with me and makes me treats. She loves me"--and I thought, who is this nice person she is talking about????? can't be me because I've been really grumpy today-- remember- kids are much easier on their judgments of us than we are on ourselves. Love you!!!

Pastor Josh said...

"Come'on Toto... you can make it.." Just like Dorothy, you will be able to tap your red, dirt colored shoes together and be able to come home. I will have a plate of fresh "slidders" ready for Ben and nice appetizer from Alexanders for you. We are proud of you guys. And that is a fact. It takes a lot to uproot for a season and follow the dream and passion that God has given. It is even hard as the guy who is out there doing the ministry and work, knowing that your wife and family aren't able to see all of the blessings and things that the Lord is doing. But, great will your reward be and even greater will the stories, love and bonds that you and your family will talk about for years and even pass onto the next generations. I am jealous that my kids have not experienced anything other than "western" society. You are raising up some mighty men of God, who have a great example of a dad who goes after his dreams, and a mom who follows the direction and leading of the Lord. Keep on Keep'n on... WE ARE PROUD OF YALL...

Deborah Shurtz Higginbotham said...

Okay well....maybe you do suck at being a mom in africa... I don't do heat, sweat, bugs, SPIDERS, I don't do toilets, dishes every day, dusting, i certainly don't iron(don't even know where it is) or do washing every day,I havent washed windows in 7 years(since becky graduated from high school) i take great pains to only cook once a week. I only make my bed if someone comes over and I sweep when i start to sneeze. AND i have airconditioning and all the amenities of modern living SO don't beat yourself up because my kids still love me
love auntie deb(the anti-martha stewart)

jmartens said...

I've often questioned my ability to get to the grocery store with one child in tow, much less to Africa with three. I admire your strength.

And as a mom who's having her own "bad mama" day, the definition of a "good mama" day sometimes needs to be put into perspective. For instance, if no serious head injuries occured, and the house hasn't burned to the ground, today I had a "good mama" day. Although thanks for making me feel like a wuss having a bad mama day in air conditioning.

Have you ever considered that you HAVE been doing your mission by educating us on Niger and the desperate needs of its people? We have seen a piece of the world through your blog. It just might be possible that you will inspire another missionary through your writings or your stories when you get back home.

And, thanks to you, that future missionary will know to pick a country with a cooler climate and smaller bugs.

P.S. As a veterinarian, I can tell you that, yes, the lizard does recognize you, but no, they don't tend to hold grudges, although you may want to check your pillow for lizard poop tonight.