Saturday, June 16, 2007

Our Daily Routine and $20

Post #5 from Galmi, Niger, West Africa (posts #1-4 below)

Our day starts at 6 a.m., just like home. Ugh! Except here I lie in bed knowing that as soon as I begin moving, I will start sweating. Ben has to be at the hospital by 7:30, so he leaves the house at 7:28 for the 2 minute walk to work. He loves not having to drive anywhere, but misses drive-thru coffee shops and egg mcmuffins.

We sort of "cheated" on this trip because we brought a portable DVD player with us. Oh, hush-up! I can hear the moans and groans from here. Yes, we're really "roughing it" with a DVD player. So, the kids get to watch a movie in the morning while they eat breakfast and I shower and make coffee. Then we go outside to take a walk or play before it gets too hot. The kids play on a pitiful little playground that is just a few feet from our house. The playground is falling apart, but they have swings and a teeter-totter that we love. Most times, within minutes we have several local children watching us as we play. Joel, Evan and Drew still show very little interest in interacting with the locals. From what the translators tell me, the children say to us, "Hello, do you have a present?" The only thing I have to offer is to take their picture and let them see it on my digital camera. Without excepetion, every child loves to see their picture. I wish I'd brought a printer with me, or better yet, a poloraid instant camera.

Speaking of children, today Joel and I went to a local private Christian school. The SIM missionaries had shoes to give to the children and the school conducted an awards ceremony. When we arrived the children were playing soccer. When it was time to line the teams up to practice kicking into the goal, I asked Joel if he wanted to get in line -- he declined. Like any good parent, I offered a bribe. He said he'd do it for a million dollars. Being the "wheeler-dealer" that I am, I managed to get him down to $20. So for $20 well-spent dollars, Joel got in line with all the Nigerien children. The pictures are priceless!

The principal of the school told us that local tradition is to announce the children who are the worst performers in the school; they try to motivate through shame. This school is different -- they awarded the best-performing children with Bibles, books and pens and pencils. The children looked so proud.

Back to our daily routine: Whenever we leave the house, even just to be on the playground, we always take water with us. I have never had so much water in all my life! Our family goes through gallons of water every day; I'm so grateful we have clean, safe drinking water. Dehydration is a huge issue here. Ben had to do another surgery on a man with a bladder stone. The cause of the stones we found out -- deyhydration.

After morning play, we lunch, take naps (I don't always nap, but I do always lie in bed with very little on and a fan blowing directly on me) and then we swim in the pool until dinner. Pooltime is the ONLY time I am cool all day. I've never been so thankful for a pool in my life.

Ben is usually home for lunch or a mid-afternoon break and then home again by dinner. He is on-call seven nights this month. Call makes him a little nervous, because it's not just Ob/Gyn call, it's "guess what came into the ER" call. :-) He does have another doctor to call upon if he gets in over his head, and he's already used that resource once for a child with a broken leg.

The day ends with Ben and me having riveting conversation -- there's no TV and it's way too hot to do anything "extra-curricular." I still can't figure out why the fertility rate is SO high here.

Thanks for reading. Evan rode a camel today. More on that in the next blog.

9 comments:

G'pa LeRoy said...

Joel on a soccer field -- awesome! Evan on a Camel? That's great! Now, how about Drew holding a "wizard" -- any hope there? Love Dad

Stacey said...

Okay, I am totally ready for some pictures!!!!! Is there any way you can upload some? I want to see Evan on a camel right now!

WendyJohnson said...

Carrie, I am really enjoying reading all about your adventures! It sounds as though things are going well there and you are all getting adjusted. Warren and I are praying for you, Ben, and the boys. Take care! Wendy

Joan White said...

I read outloud and everyone laughs. We especially liked the chicken on the head story. I was so worried about you having nothing to eat and some unnamed picky people ( who don't like white food etc) starving. So far, you have only had positive stories about the food. That's great. Anxious to hear more about the camel. I'm betting on Evan to be the first one to have a Niger friend. Love, Mom W

Joan White said...

Sorry- the top part of my comment somehow didn't make it-- I said. Reading the blogs is becoming a family event. Last time it was Jenni, Sarah, Jacob, Roger, and I. etc

Jessica said...

Hi Carrie!!! It's so great to hear how things are going. I love sharing your adventures with my family. Tevita and I can relate to much of what you are going through. So, we appreciate the stories even more. You're in our prayers! :) Give our love to Ben and the boys.
Love,Jess

Pastor Josh said...

The stories and laughing at Carrie's stories still continue. I am sure that Ben also misses eating his "sliders". Of course without the onion breathe from the sliders, there should be more opportunities for the "extra-curricular" activities to take place. Love hearing all of the stories and can't wait to see the pictures when yall get back.

Jessica said...

I'm so glad you are blogging and keeping us up-to-date! I love reading your humorous take on everything.
We've been praying for you guys! And I agree with Stacey...bring on the pics!
Jess LaVrar

Crazy Conservative Momma said...

Carrie - I did NOT groan when you mentioned the DVD player. That's a great idea! You know that we would do that with our three crazy kids. I like how Joel said that he'd stand there for a million dollars! You actually sound as though you are getting into a nice routine - though it involves lots and lots of time at the fan! Take care and God bless - Tell Joel that Raines says "hi" and tell Ben that Matt and I have been praying for all of you! Do they need any pastors there at the mission compound? ;) Teressa