Monday, June 11, 2007

Paper Towels

Post #2 from Galmi, Niger, West Africa (see post #1 below this message)

Salaam elechum ("peace be with you" in Hausa).

I have been crying a lot today; I don't know why, I just keep crying. Today has actually been a good day -- I bought laundry soap (bar) and floor cleaner from in "town," had a lady come and do my laundry (what little I have) and managed to purchase bananas from a "vendor" lady with three young girls who came to my door. I also "ordered" eggs and a red onion and we fed lizards some cornflakes. Oh yeah, and...Martha Stewart, in case you're reading my blog, I just made fresh lemonade from lemons the boys picked next to our house.

My laundry looks perfect! I even had "stubborn stains" that she managed to get out for me. Maytag, watch out! Here comes Tanti Robbie (that's my helper's name). I think she's pregnant, but I cannot ask because it's not appropriate -- that's private. Even when asked, some women will deny being pregnant and then show up days later with a newborn. One of the goals of the SIM community service missionaries is to get the women to tell people they are pregnant so that they can receive prenatal care. Ben saw a baby today with a life-threatening spinal cord defect that probably could have been prevented with folic acid.

I passed through the hospital today -- choking back tears from what little I saw. This is definitely a third world country. A toddler wandering outside with only a shirt on and men and women lying outside waiting to get into the waiting room and then, the hospital beds, are just that -- beds -- no separate rooms, only cement walls and floors, and open doors and windows with extreme temperatures. I cannot believe how blessed we are in America. However, everyone I have met, adults and children, seems happy...content. They all have a "Marie Osmond" smile and greet me warmly.

When we first arrived in Niamey (the capital city 8 hours away) we purchased four small bags of groceries, no meat, and it was $128! I am shocked at how expensive everything is -- labor is cheap (Tanti Robbie makes only 50 cents per hour) but products are expensive because everything is imported. I found out yesterday that the average Nigerien makes only $250/year! I had such extreme guilt for spending so much in the grocery store and not even thinking twice about it -- we just walked through, grabbed what we needed and paid for it. The people's stares must have not only been because we look so different, but because of what we were purchasing. We found out later that only the "wealthy" people shop in a grocery store. I bought grapes and thought nothing of asking for a large bunch. When we arrived on the SIM compound, one of the missionaries looked at my grapes in envy asking where I got them. She's never had grapes here. I realize now how wonderful those grapes are and I cherish each one.


Regarding the subject of my message -- paper towels:
I cannot live without my Bounty paper towels, I even packed THREE rolls in my suitcases (which of course someone in Paris is probably enjoying right now!). Well guess what was waiting for me in my house when we got here? A roll of Bounty paper towels! Can you believe it?! God provided Kit Kat bars AND the "quicker picker upper."

Sleep is still an issue with all of us. Evan won't sleep -- he's not even tired. Drew will only nap for about an hour and Joel is just plain exhausted, although he sleeps well at night. Please pray that we all start sleeping better.

Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

Stacey said...

Who knew paper towels could be such an incredible gift from God! I bet that (and the Kit Kat's) has great confirmation that you are supposed to be there!
I may have said this in my other comment, but I am so glad you are able to blog from over there. It is so great to be connected with you W-A-Y over there.
I will pray that the boys will adjust and start sleeping better. We miss you!

Unknown said...

hi carrie and company,
tell evan to catch a wizard for uncle j.j. keep writing and good luck with the luggage. wish i could be there with you guys...maybe next trip. blessings, j.j.

Kristin Kelley said...

Hi Carrie -- you should consider writing a book someday upon your return. Your stories are so colorful and entertaining...they are giving us a vivid picture of your new crazy life! So sorry to hear about your luggage. That's the worst! Perhaps your laundry lady could come home to Ohio with you. Love, Kristin

JodieDye said...

Hi Carrie,

It really is amazing how much we take for granted!! I'm sure you will find that to be even more true for the rest of your stay. I love your humor in the midst of your tears! God is going to use you guys for sure in that nation. You guys are the real deal. Love you guys and your in my prayers!