Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Ravioli, Spiders and Hospital Tour

Post #3 from Galmi, Niger, West Africa (see posts #1 and 2 below this message)

We have ALL of our suitcases! Praise the Lord! I was finally able to enjoy the pool today. Swimming in Africa – I honestly never thought we’d be doing that! Thank you for all your prayers.

Thank God for ravioli. Tonight I was so tired at dinnertime. We had been busy this afternoon unpacking our suitcases and found we have to unpack in stages because it gets so hot. We have to stop, wipe the sweat and rest for awhile – the heat just zaps all our energy. One of the first things I unpacked was a can of Ravioli. A friend of a friend (thanks Manda!) suggested I pack a can of ravioli just in case the food was really bad here and the kids wouldn’t eat anything. That can of ravioli was like an oasis in the dessert. Dinner in a can! Thank you Chef Boy-R-Dee. Now, what to do for dinner tomorrow?

Last night we had our first dinner guest. Jeannie, a long-term missionary from California, stopped by at dinnertime so we invited her to stay. This was the first meal I cooked in Niger and we had a guest to enjoy it with us! Good thing she didn’t come tonight – dinner in a can only serves so many.

As I’m writing this blog I am stamping my feet with my skirt tucked between my legs because I’m scared to death a spider will crawl up my legs! A few nights ago, in this very room, one guy had a “husband of the scorpion” white spider crawl over his foot and actually chase him when he jumped up. He happened to have his camera next to the computer and was able to snap a picture of it. This thing is almost as big as my hand! Thanks, George, for my recent sleepless nights. I’m hoping the sound of my feet will keep the spider away. That WILL work, don’t you agree?

Ben did a surgery on a patient he never thought he’d see – a MAN! It’s not often that an Ob/Gyn does surgery on a man but I guess all bladders look the same. The man had six dime-sized stones in his bladder. His family asked to take the stones home to show others – they looked just like real rocks. Ben also had to tell a 39 year-old woman she had end-stage breast cancer. He was surprised by her lack of emotion. I wonder, is this cultural or was this just the way she was?

Yesterday I took a heart-wrenching tour of the SIM hospital. As I suspected, the most difficult patients to see were the children. One little boy, probably 4 or 5 years old, had severe burns from spilling boiling water all over his face and hands. A 6-year-old girl was lying in bed with her broken leg in traction (a cast would not work for a break like this) – she will lay like this for six weeks.. These injuries happen to children in the United States too, but in the U.S. the children have distractions to take their mind off their situation. When Joel got his tonsils removed, he got ice cream, popsicles, cartoons, video games and just about anything else he wanted. These children don’t even have air conditioning or a private room.

Continuing on the tour I stood in the doorway of a hot room filled with 10 mothers and their young children, mostly babies. These babies are so sick that I would put them in danger by walking into the room. Each mother’s face looked so helpless, so distraught, so empty. The smiles are gone. Because I could not enter the room, I felt compelled to look each mother in the eye and express my sympathy. Frustrated by not knowing Hausa, their native language, I searched for a way to convey my heart. Weeping, I put both hands over my heart hoping they understood. Each mom acknowledged me with a nod.

SIM Hospital is doing everything they can with the resources available. But they need doctors! Where are the pediatricians and neonatologists? I used to work in the marketing department of a hospital. One of the responsibilities we had was to help doctors get patients. Get patients?! Here they are! In Niger.

When I visited the Obstetrics room, I met 10 women who had recently delivered babies. I love babies! And two of the mothers were lying there with twins! As I walked over to one new baby, his three-year-old brother ran screaming – he was scared to death of the white woman! All the mothers thought this was so funny.

I wonder – how am I perceived? I’m walking through the hospital but am I welcome here or am I just a “rich white woman” on a tour like Princess Diana or the Queen?

I did learn a little more about SIM’s ministry here. SIM uses their hospital as the draw, or the “platform,” for sharing the gospel. Every person in the waiting room sees the “Jesus Video,” the story of Jesus. In addition, SIM believes having the local people ministering to their own is the best testimony, so they have an evangelist from local Christian churches pray with each patient before surgery. All of the people I have met have been awesome, quality people who truly care about their work and the people here.

Back to sleep. All three kids are finally on their normal schedule and sleeping well. People tell me it takes one day to adjust for every hour of time difference. Their sleep improved on day five in Niger and it’s a five hour time difference, so I guess they’re right.

Joel got a mosquito bite. I’ve never worried about a bite before; it seems funny to worry about such a little thing. We’re all on anti-malarial medicine, so we just have to assume it will be O.K. but it does make me nervous.

One note I forgot to mention in my past blog: Before we landed in Galmi, the pilot of the single-engine plane had to buzz over the airstrip before landing just to make sure it was free of people and donkey carts. “We’re not in Kansas anymore Toto.”

AHHH! A small “husband of the scorpion” just ran past my feet and, if that wasn’t enough, a three-inch grasshopper slammed into my back. I’m done. I’m going to bed (AFTER I check the sheets for visitors). FYI, it was 102 degrees today.

10 comments:

Joan White said...

I finally figured out how to leave comments. We just love getting your blogs. It is really helping us feel connected to what you are doing. How is Ben feeling about his work so far??? Do the kids have other kids to play with?? What about your clothes and head covering- you haven't mentioned them. Could we send a care package or would it not get there before you have to leavc??. I'm sure the women will love you because even without words, they will see your kind heart!! Love to all

G'pa LeRoy said...

Beautiful relating of your observations. Connection or empathy would be good words too. You are developing a deep-heart awareness of conditions in the 3rd world and its peoples. I imagine Ben is having an adrenaline high – I have experienced some of this (to a much lesser degree) and am happy Ben is working in specialities not normal to his at-home practice. Love you all, and I continue praying on a regular basis for all of your requests, and more — Dad.

Pastor Josh said...

In one blog... you have me crying as you walk through the rooms... and then you have me laughing as you are jumping around running from all of the bugs. If only to see Carrie White having fun with all of the creatures... Just a funny sight to me. We are loving the blogs and are praying for you all. Keep up the great work and let God continue to increase His passion and desire within each of you. Please let the boys know that we love them all and can't wait to see them and hear of their new friends and all of the stories about what mom did while they were over there.

Stacey said...

Wow. I'm still crying thinking about you standing there with your hands over your heart looking at those helpless mothers. You guys are never going to be the same again.

I'm glad to hear you got your suitcases! Thank you Jesus!

Jane Elliott said...

Glad your luggage is there and you are getting used to the bugs! I'll pray specifically for them to stay far from you. Love your blog-it's interesting to learn about Niger and it's people. You are in our prayers-and so are the people at the hospital

Jane Elliott

jprado said...

Carrie, you are hilarious. Thanks for telling your dad to email me. I'll be following your adventure and praying for you.

JodieDye said...

OMG! True Missionaries already! Your blog got my heart aching for the women and children in the hospital too! I almost feel like I'm with you as you give such descriptive details of what your going through. Definitely praying for you! Praise God that you got your suitcases and you were finally able to go swimming. I pray you get some sleep now!

Ang said...

Hi Carrie! Its nice reading your blog its like we are right there. Keep them coming. You our in all our prayers! It would be cool if you could figure out how to get pics on here, good luck! Cant wait to see you when you get back. Give the boys a big hug for us ok? Love ya, Ang and Paige

Crazy Conservative Momma said...

Hi Carrie - Matt and I were trying to figure out what to have for dinner tonight. NOW I know - one of us will run out for a can of ravioli! I still laugh about those mean ol' wizards! We are continually praying for you, Ben and the boys, and your ministry there! I really am enjoying reading about your experiences. Teressa

Deborah Shurtz Higginbotham said...

Man you made me cry and I am at work..... printed out the whole blog and it is being passed around. I thought about joining you but the spider got to me...sorry.... no can do. I will pray for you,ben and the boys. I love you so much
auntie deb