Thursday, June 21, 2007

If Mama Ain't Happy and Goats on a Van

Post #7 from Galmi, Niger, West Africa (#1-6 below this blog)

Ben has been busy. He’s not only busy doing surgeries (he did SIX surgeries yesterday), but he’s also trying to make sure I stay happy – cause “if mama ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy.” It’s funny because just as I’m about ready to lose it, Ben starts cleaning the kitchen. He knows the constant red dust that covers everything drives me crazy. The kids’ bare feet are always red and every surface in the house has a layer of red on it. I keep a bowl full of bleach water on the kitchen counter just to wipe down surfaces (counters and tables) but it’s a never-ending battle. Even the dishcloth and sponge are stained red. The dust slowly blows in from the sandy dirt outside, and if there is a storm – watch out! When it storms we have to close all the windows because the dust gets so bad. Then every time it storms the electricity goes out. I didn’t realize how much the fans helped cool the house until the electricity went out on us the first time. Even without a storm, the electricity goes out frequently here. Usually it’s only out for a few minutes, never for more than 30, but when the lights go out, it is super dark! I can’t even see my hand in front of my face. Ben and I walk around gathering candles and matches saying, “Where are you, I don’t want to bump into you.” It’s like a big game of “Marco Polo.” Ha!

Yesterday in town I saw live, bleating goats tied to the top of a minivan! The van is used as a bus, taking passengers (people AND goats) from one town to the next. I couldn’t get my camera out fast enough, but trust me, I will never forget how funny this looked!

Ben and I watched the movie “Sahara” last night (we borrowed the movie from another missionary). Please, if you’re going to rent a movie this week, rent “Sahara” with Matthew McConahey and Penelope Cruz. It’s a fun, and sometimes funny, action flick that takes place very near where we are. The best part was that in the movie they talk about the “Tuareg” people group, and today I met a Tuareg man! I wanted to say, “I know who you are! Do you know Matthew and Penelope?” but I bit my tongue.

Yesterday Ben removed a tumor the size of a football from a woman’s butt. I tried to tell him that’s what is wrong with me, but he doesn’t believe me.

There are three college guys here as short-term missionaries and they take turns watching Ben’s surgeries. Only the one guy is pre-med, but if Ben has his way all three will go into O.B. or surgery when they leave here. Ben loves teaching!

Today Evan and I watched four men MAKE bricks the size of cinder blocks! If you are a fan of “The Amazing Race” you know they showed this one time on that reality show. It’s unbelievable how difficult of a job this would be; the men work ALL day and each man only gets two cents per brick.

It’s so hot in Galmi that I sleep in my bra so I don’t have to put it back on in the morning. Putting on a bra while sweating is like pulling up a wet swimsuit – a difficult and frustrating, but necessary task.


I’m anxiously awaiting news about babies. Sarah? Robbon? Did you find out what you’re having yet? (And someone else -- you know who you are but I can’t include your name in my blog because I haven’t told anyone you’re pregnant yet!) I’d better be getting some emails soon!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Carrie, I so enjoy hearing about your adventures -- and misadventures. And I can't wait to hear more when you return home -- especially since we're now in MI and a mere 45 minutes away. Enjoy, Kelli Laski

Crazy Conservative Momma said...

My husband wasn't quite sure WHY I was laughing tonight as I sat at the computer - I couldn't help it with the talk of your pajama choices and reasonings behind behinds! You are a crazy woman! I am going to have dreams about goats strapped atop my minivan tonight. I would go CRAZY with all of that red dust - I am a cleaning freak! You take care - Teressa ;)

Joan White said...

Hi there. We are in Madison Wisconsin this am on the way to Lafayette and the 3 little cherubs. Its been very rainy and COLD!!! You remember cold don't you??? Poor goats. I have a feeling that might be what you are eating in those little meat pies!!!

Terry said...

Carrie, It sounds like you are having an experience that you will treasure (maybe more when it is over). I'm glad you are doing well. Tell Ben and the kids that we said Hi and they are in our prayers. I would really like to see some pictures, no sweating pictures but goats on a van would be nice :)

Stacey said...

Hahahaha! I think I have football sized tumors in each cheek and each thigh!!!!