Sunday, June 24, 2007

Eternal Purpose

Blog #8 from Galmi, Niger, West Africa (#1-7 below this blog)

One of the most difficult things for me here in Niger is not seeing first-hand an eternal purpose. Our mission here is two-fold: to heal the sick and to heal hearts by introducing people to Jesus Christ. On a daily basis Ben sees women (and a few men too!) who are better off because he is here. He sees long-term pain being relieved through surgeries and babies being delivered by c-section who might otherwise not have made it without his presence. He also sees local evangelists praying with each patient before and after surgery. Ben sees lives being changed. The only change I’m seeing is within me.

I am experiencing strong growing pains. My heart hurts that I am such a spoiled American. The Nigeriens are extremely hard workers and they never utter a word of complaint. Every time I see Maria, one local friend I have made, she gives me a huge grin and asks me how I’m doing. How am I doing?! I’m hot, tired, lonely and frequently frustrated with the kids. But I’m the one living in a Galmi mansion (at least that’s the way it must look to the her) with food in the refrigerator and ceiling fans; she lives in a house that could get destroyed with the next heavy rain. I push my kids around in a stroller; she carries Abednego, her five-month-old, on her back – while she’s working. But Maria, she never complains. I tell her, “You have a hard life.” She just says, “Oh, Carrie.”

I saw Maria singing in the church choir today. She is a life that was changed because of the outreach of SIM. She is the reason we are here yet she is ministering to me.

Speaking of church…I went for the first time this morning and boy was I gorgeous! I had my new Niger dress and head wrap on! “And don’t forget to put on earrings." Alice told me, "all the women wear earrings.” (Of course I’ll include a picture, as soon as I get it downloaded.) Church was very much like church at home – minus the air-conditioning, carpet, padded pews, English and deodorant! The instrument, a “drum,” was literally an empty old metal drum barrel but it sounded great! They did have a keyboard but didn’t use it much. The congregation sang, the youth choir sang, the women’s choir sang, the children’s choir sang, the women sang again, the youth sang again and then we all sang again. All the women were very dressed up and looked beautiful in all their colored fabric and head wraps to match their dresses.


Everyone is up from their naps – I must go. More later on our 17th wedding anniversary dinner – the best one we’ve ever had! And congratulations to my brother Mark and his wife Robbon who are expecting their second girl! (Why can’t I have a girl?! To quote my children, “It’s not fair.”)

9 comments:

Stacey said...

Wow, Carrie. I think all of us that are reading your blog are sensing the change in you. I think you will be like Isaiah when he saw the Lord... "ruined." You'll probably never be happy with "normal" life again. I am just so proud of you guys. I can't wait to see how ruined you are when you get back. Love you!

Joan White said...

Just the couple weeks you have been there and have shared with us has caused me to think everyday about everything I usually take forgranted and to savor it more. I really think part of your mission is to write a book that touches thousands of people and helps them to have a keener sense of appreciation and a new understanding of the need to share with others. Can't wait to see your picture.

Mimi said...

Dear Carrie (&Ben), We have been enjoying your blogs daily & laughing & crying with you as you make your time there come to life. I agree 100% with my sister that you MUST write a book! You've always had the talent, & humor.....now you have the perfect subject matter. Who could NOT want to find out about "Panting Chickens" or a "Blood-Curdling Scream" ?? The chapter titles alone will make it an absolute page-turner for sure! And seriously, you have the skill to make your first-hand experiences our LESSONS & that's awesome!
Like everyone else we loved the photos & are anxiously awaiting ones of Ben & YOU (in your new dress, not your sleep-wear thank you just the same.) :-)
William has had some pretty nifty ideas regarding the wizards & spiders that I'm sure he'll be happy to share with you. I have no doubt you'll be wanting to hear those asap!
We have been praying for you all & all joking aside deeply admire your bravery & service to our great Lord.
Hugs (oops too hot!) to you all, Carol

Unknown said...

Hi Carrie! We've got Canada reading your blog. It's a joy reading your posts - I feel like I'm there with you (although, I am sitting in an air conditioned house at the moment).

You and your family are true inspirations - really you are.

Keep the posts coming!

Wendi (Silcott) MacKay

Unknown said...

Hi Carrie....people who know me like Carol,Joan and Roger know I hardly ever complain or gripe about anything. (I know I will get email about that statement). It's really hard to complain about Texas weather and humidity anymore after reading what kind of conditions your living with at this present time. I can only imagine how this has opened your eyes to how blessed we truly are in America. Carol told me about some of the experiences your family is a witness too. Scorpians!! Yuck!! I really pray that God will let both of you know under no uncertain terms as to the decision the both of you will make over the next two years. It's takes a lot of guts to pick and and leave your home,family and friends for just 30 days to find out if this is what the Lord has in his plans for you.
I hope the kids are adjusting and that they will be safe. I see Ben is doing different surgeries to help the locals.
Take care,
William

Elizabeth said...

Carrie,
You are amazing!! I can't wait to get on my computer and see what the latest update from Africa has to offer!! You know I kept all of your letters from Kansas City and called them the "Kansas City Chronicles" Now I laugh, cry and ponder over the "Africa Articles" My agreement with you writing a book....I've always said you missed your calling!!!

Seriously, what a great gift those of us who read your blog receive. It is so challenging to "watch" what you guys (from all our comforts) experience things that we take for granted. There is no doubt in my mind that God is and will continue to show you His Eternal Purpose in all of this.

Love and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!
Elizabeth

Jessica said...

Hi Carrie! I was a few posts behind, so I just spent some time catching up. It is amazing how you make me (and I'm sure others too) laugh and cry within seconds.
I have been on two foreign short-term missions trips and they had a profound impact on me. Unfortunately , their effect must have worn off, because I find myself feeling convicted that I've reverted to being a "spoiled American" again.
Thanks for the challenging reminder to be grateful in all things.
Jess LaVrar

Unknown said...

Carrie, oh how I love reading all that you are seeing and doing! Everytime I read something new I get all emotional - happy for you that you and your family are having such a tremendous experience, and jealous all at the same time. It is so hard to accurately convey the sights, sounds, smells - and most of all the change within, but you are doing a wonderful job. Thanks for taking us all along! I so want to get together and hear everything when you guys get home. Know that I am praying for you!!

Kristin Kelley said...

Hi Carrie -- sorry it's been so long since I've posted anything. I'm just catching up on all your postings. I am left speachless. Your experience is hard for most of us to imagine but you've done such a wonderful job describing it and pulling us into your words. Thanks for that! On a personal note (Yes, I knew you were talking to me)...drum roll please...I am having a boy!!! I'm now 20 weeks and besides the big boobs and swollen ankles I'm feeling good. I can't wait to see you back in T-town. I miss you tons!! It seems like this last month is dragging on. I think of you often. Please be safe and we'll see you very soon!!!