Sunday, January 27, 2008

Grammar 101 Taught by Joel

My current "Joel project" is to change the way he corrects Evan's grammar.

The other day Evan said, "I catched the ball, Joel!"

Joel then said in a rude tone, "Evan, what's wrong with this sentence? 'I catched the ball.'" (It was rude, but I had a hard time not laughing at the way Joel said it.)

I scolded Joel for being rude and he responded, "Well how am I supposed to tell him it's wrong?" I suggested he repeat the sentence, the correct way, back to Evan in the form of a question. "For example, you could have said, "You caught the ball, Evan?"

Just yesterday we had success. Both boys started to play Candyland and Evan said, "Mommy teached me how to play."

Joel: "Mommy taught you how to play?"

Yeah, Joel! I rewarded him with a marble in his jar for that one!

FYI: The "marble jar" is our new behavior modification technique. When the jar is full, Joel gets to go to an arcade with Dad. He loves getting marbles and quite honestly, it is working extremely well.

3 comments:

Stacey said...

Awesome job Joel! I love the marble job techinique. Tami Heiss swears by it as well! Let me know if you ever want to order his name for the jar! ;)Hahahahaha!

Jessica said...

I've never heard of the marble jar. I might need to try that!

In the life of an Olin...... said...

HI Carrie!!!!
My laptop stopped allowing me to send email messages SO the computer we have doesn't have your email address.
Where have you been!?!?!?!?!?!?
I miss seeing your sunshiney face :)
Email me so I'll have your address.
Hope you are well!