Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Germ-a-phobe Joel and Prayer

Yesterday Evan was really sick with the stomach flu and now Joel is scared to death that he will get it. "I don't want to puke" he keeps telling me. He was at Grandma and Grandpa's house when Evan came down with the flu, so he told them he didn't want to go home until nighttime.

At 6 o'clock when Joel walked in the door, he briefly greeted me and went straight up to his bedroom and closed the door. I went to check on him and he told me to "close the door quick, I don't want the germs getting in here." When he went to the use bathroom, he held his breath until he was "safe" in Mom and Dad's bathroom with the door closed (he wouldn't use the kids' bathroom because "that's where the germs are").

Do you think I have a germ-a-phobe like Howie Mandel on my hands? I recently heard Donald Trump is also a germ-a-phobe. Hmm, I'm thinking...both guys are making lots o' money... maybe it's not such a bad trait to have?

Anyway, I'm getting off the subject here (yes, I've had coffee!). After Joel was tucked in bed, he was so worried he'd puke that he asked me to pray for him. I prayed once and then five minutes later, risking catching a germ in the hallway, he came to find me and to ask me to pray for him again, "I feel better when you pray, Mom."

First think this morning when Joel heard Evan awake, he ran to Evan and asked him if he was feeling better. Evan said he was better and Joel proudly said, "That's because I prayed for you this morning. I prayed for you, Drew and Mom and Dad." Evan responded with a hearty "Thanks, Joel!" Joel repeated the same thing to Drew when he woke up.

Now here's what I need you, my faithful readers to do for me:
Please, PLEASE pray that Joel does not get the flu! He has all the faith in the world that God will keep him safe. I also believe that God will keep Joel safe, but I also know we, as sinful men were cast from the Garden of Eden and now live in a world where we are exposed to many germs. (Wow, one cup of coffee and now I'm preaching!) I just want Joel to experience the power of Jesus and of prayer.

Thank you in advance for your prayers!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also know the power of prayer. Call me. Mindy

Stacey said...

How precious! I will pray. I've been in this boat before!!!

Pastor Josh said...

That is great... will be praying... but just wanted to let you know that if you are going to preach you need to be based on the scripture otherwise it is just a good story:) (I think that I heard it some place)