Sunday, June 8, 2008

Drew's Helicopter Outing with Mom

Drew got to ride in a REAL helicopter at the airport near Grandma and Grandpa Heibel's house! This was a special "Drew only" outing because Drew loves helicopters so much -- he has told us for about six months now that when he grows up he wants to "drize (drive) helicopters." When Grandma/pa heard about the opportunity to ride in a helicopter, they knew Drew had to try it. He was very quietly excited and only nodded his head quickly up and down when asked if he wanted to take a ride. He absolutely loved it and silently took in every minute of the brief 5-minute ride. (Grandpa and Mom accompanied him and we loved it too although Mom wasn't quite as silent! ha!)

After the flight, the people at the small airport gave drew a little airplane for him to play with. The kid played with that little toy for over an hour all by himself (after some aerodynamic flight tips from Grandpa of course). Drew was completely in his element; it made me smile just to see him so happy -- and without any older brothers bothering him. Recently someone asked me what energizes me as a mom. My answer: spending time with just ONE child. Yesterday's outing with Drew re-confirmed that with me because I found myself falling in love with Drew all over again. (The honeymoon didn't last long -- this morning he was spanked once and in a time-out twice!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could have witnessed the outing! Tell the boys Mindy says Hi.

Love,
Mindy

Stacey said...

Oh my gosh! How did you pull this off? This makes all my mom/child outings seem REALLY lame...

Deborah Shurtz Higginbotham said...

Carrie you have been given such gifts in your kids. You have done such a good job maybe I need to send Josh and Beck up to you to finish raising!!! Tell Drew that his great aunt debbie used to fly in a helicopter

Jessica said...

Awesome! I had no idea there was such a thing in this area!