Thursday, May 29, 2008

We're Moving!

The White Family is moving to Reno, Nevada!

Ben has been interviewing for a new job since April because he is unsatisfied with his current job situation. He was offered several jobs including one in Tennessee and one in Reno. After a lot of prayer and discussion, we decided the job in Reno looked like the best opportunity for our family.

Please allow me one minute to say that I am so proud of Ben. The Reno Hospital staff interviewed many doctors and the recruiter and the hospital Vice President told us that Ben was “their number one choice.” In addition, the CEO of the hospital in Tennessee wanted Ben to join their staff so badly that after Ben declined the job, the CEO called and emailed Ben asking him to reconsider. This process re-opened my eyes to what a wonderful, smart, compassionate person Ben is.

(Wow, that was sort of like reading a Christmas letter from the “perfect family” who live in their dream home and have amazing vacations with their fabulous children who are all on the honor roll and excel in sports.)

Ben and I visited Reno in April even though we knew of Reno’s reputation for prostitution and gambling – before visiting Reno I actually told several people that even though Ben was interviewing, I was “99% sure” we weren’t going to be moving there. (I was…do I have to say it?….I was…wrong.) As we flew into the city we were both shocked at how beautiful the landscape was. Reno is a city that is a little smaller than Toledo and it sort of sits at the bottom of a “bowl” that is surrounded by mountains. It is at one-mile elevation so the year-round temperature is very similar to Ohio, with all the seasons just minus the humidity (yahoo!). The people were so friendly everywhere we went and we immediately felt like we “fit in.” After Ben’s day of interviews, we spent the next day with a realtor looking at houses. We were quite disappointed with how expensive houses are and how SMALL the yards are, but we were amazed at how family-friendly the town is. As the realtor was finishing the tour, I began crying – I knew this was a town in which our family could live and that Ben and I were beginning to fall in love with Reno.

After some negotiations, on Tuesday Ben finally accepted the job offer in Reno. We are looking at moving near the end of summer or early fall and are going to take another trip out there in July to look at houses (particularly looking for houses that are earthquake proof!).

Yes, I will have to be on anti-depressants for several months before and after the move. I cry every time I talk about it, but I know it's in Ben's best interest (which is ultimately in the family's best interest). I will severely miss my family, friends, church, house (yard!) and neighborhood. On the flip-side, we will be 4 hours from San Francisco and just 30-45 minutes from Lake Tahoe! I guess Ben and the boys will have to learn how to ski.

And the best part about living in Reno -- if Ben's job doesn't work out, I can always work at the Bunny Ranch.

6 comments:

Deborah Shurtz Higginbotham said...

i am very happy for you and for me as I do love the slots...but remember YOU HAVE A WEDDING TO ATTEND IN LOUISIANA Septmeber 13....... please oh please try to come.
love gambling auntie

In the life of an Olin...... said...

I'm excited for you guys! Will defintely miss you! What an awesome experience to step out in faith and obey! Your rewards will be great!
p.s. I guess this means Emma gets Drews "spot" in p/s ;)

In the life of an Olin...... said...

ok...CLEARLY I knew what I was doing by saying "Drew" -just trying to throw you off....I meant to say "Evan"! Geesh!

Jessica said...

I too am excited for you, but sad as well. We'll miss you guys! How are my girls supposed to fall in love and marry your boys now? Who is going to entertain me during scrapbooking weekends?

I hope you'll be faithful with blogging so we can stay updated on how your family is doing. I'm sure you'll be blessed as you obey God's direction. And while it isn't Africa, I'm sure Reno has quite a mission field. Maybe that's what your visits to the Bunny Ranch will entail. :)

Stacey said...

I am still heartbroken and devastated... are you SURE you heard God right?! ;)

Connie said...

Does this mean no family reunion in July?
I am happy for you and Ben..
There are lots of souls that need saved..I can't think of a much better place to begin than at the Bunny Ranch..