Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Wet Carpet, Pee Cups and the Neighbors

Well, let's just say I will have to have my carpet cleaned pretty soon. Drew has had three "potty parties" today and he LOVES them, but trust me, he's peed more than three times!

Yesterday was a "wash." After naptime, we officially started the training, but it was useless. I tried to get Drew to pee on the toilet, but he didn't go. Then it was time to walk to pick up Joel from school so I packed a "pee cup" in the stroller. As soon as we were three houses away he said he had to pee. So there I am, in front of my neighbor's house, pulling Drew's pants down and holding a cup in front of him. He just wanted to hold the cup and "try," but the cup stayed empty. Of course as soon as we got to school, he started playing on the playground and peed in his pants. Ugh! Then we got home and Joel wanted to practice riding his bike. So I told Evan and Drew to stay inside while I went with Joel. (At this point Drew only had a t-shirt on because it seems easier to do the training naked than with underwear -- note above that I said my carpet needs cleaned.) Well, Joel fell while riding, so I ran clear down the street to help him. As I came back toward my house, I saw a neighbor man in my driveway talking to Drew, who had NO pants on. The neighbor didn't see me down the street and was worried when he saw Drew outside by himself. Of course then I had to explain why my son was naked.

Between pee cups and naked butts, I think we're going to get evicted from Perrysburg.

Since we had such a crazy start to potty training yesterday, I canceled all social engagements today (and tomorrow) -- all two of them -- and just focused on Drew. That is one key element that I don't enjoy -- staying tied to the house (and the toilet!). Today I even put a chair in the bathroom for me to sit with Drew and read to him while he's "perching;" although I can only get through about two pages in a book before he's ready to jump and run -- no toilet ring around the butt for Drew.

I'm hoping to have lots 'o potty parties tomorrow and here's to no more wet spots on the carpet.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

Oh man! I do believe toilet training is one of the WORST parts to the toddler years FOR SURE. I'll pray for little Drew that he gets it soon. Oh, and I'll pray that your neighbors don't call children's services on you either.

Anonymous said...

Well written article.