Wednesday, October 17, 2007

I'm Potty Trained, Not Drew

At this point in the potty training world in which I'm encapsulated, I'm the one who's trained, not Drew -- I'm trained to put him on the toilet every 10 - 15 minutes. He pees on the toilet, but he never tells me when he has to go; it's me grabbing him and making him sit. I'm also making him drink lots of liquid so that he has to go often -- in hopes that this gives him more opportunities to learn. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed and praying.

I will be so relieved when this is over; I've been housebound for two days straight to focus on him. Being stuck at home is the worst part! But interestingly enough, I've enjoyed more quality time with Evan and Drew (Joel's at school all day) since it's just the three of us sitting around the house. We've read lots of books, painted, done puzzles, cooked together and,...I even watched Barney with them! Wow, I'm such a good mom. Plus, sitting around has made me look at my house a little closer -- thus I scrubbed my floors today. So you see, my carpet may be dirtier, but my kids and my hard surface floors are better off.

I feel sort of funny about potty training this kid because:
a.) He's the last kid and once he's done, it's all over for me!
b.) I realize I've put a lot of pressure on myself because I've told everyone. You know if this takes Drew forever to "get," I will feel like an idiot. Haha. Like I'm not used to feeling like that. I mean now, thanks to naked Drew in the front yard, even the whole neighborhood knows!

At least I'm still feeling optimist about this process. I get up every day with this short-term goal on my agenda. Let's hope I can cross it off soon!

4 comments:

Deborah Shurtz Higginbotham said...

Dear Darling niece,
I (and all the nurses at the hospital on night shift) laughed much and long at the last 3 entries. I can't even sympathize because I paid extra to have Joshua potty trained by my sitter....a 25$bonus if she could do it in 2 days. Becky was also trained that way except at night. She still peed at night in a diaper which she put on herself...until the day we ran out then she stopped peeing at night. Neat, huh!!!!!
Lazy Aunt debbie

Jane Elliott said...

Hang in there Carrie-it will happen-and when they leave for college you won't remember any of this-even the constant carpet cleaning-that you could certainly do without.
I'll keep you all in my prayers-I was rolling on the floor laughing at the entire story-esp the butt maked boy in the driveway talking to strangers-you can only do that at 27 months.

Jane Elliott

Jane Elliott said...

I meant butt naked!!!!
Jane

Anonymous said...

Okay, what's the latest?
Mindy