Thursday, November 5, 2009

Hillbilly, Ninja and Hawaiian Tourist

Two days before Halloween Ben took Joel shopping for a costume. Two phone calls to me later, still no costume. Every costume came with a mask and Joel did NOT want to wear one. Joel finally decided on a costume -- one that I really did not approve of, but I kept my mouth shut because I was trying to not control the situation -- yeah, a first for me, but it was not a hill to die on. Anyway...the next night as Joel was getting into bed, he decided he hated the costume (it was uncomfortable) and he wasn't going to wear it to the school Halloween party the next day. I suggested I pick him up from school before the party, "NO." I finally came up with a "Hawaiian tourist" idea from things we had around the house. It worked; he liked the costume. For the school parade he even carried a surf board he had made months earlier out of cardboard. So it ended up being a cute, homemade costume. Yeah for Mom!
Then there was Evan's costume. About a month ago he came up to me and announced that he wanted to be a hillbilly for Halloween. I told him I didn't know what a hillbilly looked like and he simply looked at me and said, "Google 'What does a hillbilly wear?'"


He was right! I'm not exactly sure why, but there are several websites that answer this question. (Why in the world???).


So when Evan first dressed in his costume and went to school, he came home and told me the kids in his class thought he was a farmer.
He then gave me instructions that he needed patches on his overalls and he wasn't going to wear the hat. Here is attempt #2 at dressing like a hillbilly. I think Evan was right, this is a little better.

Drew: He wanted to be a pirate until the night before Halloween when he decided to be a Ninja. Thank goodness for Grandma and Grandpa White who have given the boys TONS of costumes in the past. Drew had SO many choices!

The only problem was that Drew had a 104 degree temperature yesterday and now he's trick-or-treating. H1N1 alert: Drew is running the neighborhood and looks like this:After trick-or-treating for 70 minutes, Joel came home and proclaimed that he was done. When I asked him why he didn't want to keep getting candy he responded, "I'm happy."

Good answer.

Meanwhile, the hillbilly and the ninja stayed out with Dad for two hours (apparently they weren't happy until they had enough candy to choke a snake!).

Evan came home and weighed himself after eating lots of candy. He was amazed to discover that he'd actually LOST a pound! I told him it was from all the walking he'd done. ??? Sounded good to me. :-)

No comments: