Sunday, July 29, 2007

Sad News from Niger


While our family was in Niger, we had the opportunity to meet a wonderful missionary family from the United States -- the Zoolkoski's. In one of my blogs I "introduced" the family -- Dr. Christopher, who is the medical director of the hospital, and his wife, Helene and their three children, ages 6, 10 and 13. Today we received a sad email from Christopher -- Helene, who has been suffering from skin cancer, went home to be with the Lord. I've included Christopher's email below. (Helene is the lady in the center of the picture, with her son, Joel, peeking over her shoulder.)

Dear Family & Friends,

Earlier this week we had to postpone our return to the US as Helene had become too weak to make the trip. We decided that, given the stresses of travel, the comforts & stability of our home here in Galmi, and the supportive entourage we have here, it would be better for all of us to stay here and simply enjoy this time God has given us as a family.

Last night, from here in Niger, Jesus took Helene to be with Him.
Yesterday, as we became aware that this would be our last day with her, the three children and I gathered around her bedside and sang Helene’s favorite hymn: Oh Sacred Head Once Wounded. This hymn became her favorite at the end of her senior year in high school. During the 4th verse, the kids and I talked about the paradox of “dying safely”. The words “safe” and “dying” don’t usually go together. But today they fit together very appropriately.
I invite you meditate on the words of this hymn along with us. We’ll be singing it again tomorrow at her funeral.

I could never have asked for a more perfect wife, mother of my children, or partner in ministry.
She is already greatly missed.

It is difficult to know how to pray at this time. Sometimes, when I find myself at a loss for words, I just ask God to listen to your prayers, since we know that you are interceding on our behalf. Thank you for this.

Reassured by what is certain,
Christopher

3 comments:

Stacey said...

I am so sorry to hear of this loss. I took a few minutes and prayed for the family, especially the children.

NIGER1.COM said...

Hello the webiste niger1 about Niger
http://www.niger1.com/niger.html
Also presents it s condoleance to the family and friends of the deceased
best regards niger1.com@gmail.com

Unknown said...

I just returned from ~8 days at Galmi and appreciate the honesty with which you describe your own experience. We met Helene and Chris and the kids and were touched by their story, as anyone with a heart must be. If you're interested, you can catch some of my own thoughts, including a response to your blog, at: Galmi Days.