Thursday, July 5, 2007

It Takes a Village

Blog #12 (FINAL) from Galmi, Niger, West Africa (#1-11 are below this blog)

Ben is now a plastic surgeon. He was on call the other night and a man come to the hospital after being in a motorcycle accident (maybe he was distracted by the goat in the back seat!). He had to stitch up the man’s nose. Ben says he was very nervous, but truth be told, I think Ben slightly enjoyed the change of pace – he is usually working at the “other end” of the body. Now that Ben knows plastic surgery, I told him to start working on me!

We leave Niger tomorrow (Friday) and arrive in Ohio on Saturday. Here are some statistics from our trip:

Statistics for our month in Niger:
Number of surgeries Ben did: 80 (including 28 c-sections)
Number of people hearing the gospel of Jesus for the first time: 100’s
Gallons of water our family drank: 60+
Times Carrie cried: 63!
Rolls of toilet paper used: 16 – we’ve had a few episodes of the “Galmi Gallops”
Lizards “caught”: 1
Lizards Joel saw “wrestling”: 2
College guys Ben “converted” to Ob/Gyn: 1
Mosquito bites: only 5!
Goats in or on a vehicle: 10
Snakes seen: 1
Spiders in our house: NONE (that we’ve seen – maybe some have seen us!)
Samosas eaten: 40

Since I whined in an earlier blog (O.K., so maybe I whined in several blogs), I started thinking that I should appreciate how nice I’ve had it here in Niger: I haven’t once had to mow the lawn; I never make the beds (why bother?); Tanti Robbie does my laundry for me; and we have a pool 50 feet from our house. Plus we see a lot more of Ben/Dad than we do back in the states. Maybe we should stay….Naw! You all would miss us too much!

This is my final blog from Africa and I want to leave you with a few thoughts.

Lois (one of the other missionaries) and I sat down for a “debriefing session” this week. Lois is in charge of hospitality at the SIM compound – she welcomes new comers, arranges meals and houses and also lends an ear when needed (bonus: she has a counseling background). Through our conversation I discovered that Lois feels much of the same way I have felt about my stay here in Galmi – she said she’s not a doctor or a nurse or even someone providing direct care or education to the Hausa people. Sometimes she questions her contribution as a missionary. However, in the same breath Lois is telling me how valuable my contribution is because I am here supporting Ben who is providing direct patient care. Do you see where I’m going here? Without Lois here, I would have been on the first plane back to Ohio. “It takes a village,” or should I say, “It takes a compound.” Lois supported me this month, while I supported Ben, while he provided a service to the hospital so that peoples’ quality of life could be improved and so the local evangelists could give the gospel message to the Hausa people.

That’s where YOU come in! You don’t need to be a doctor or a nurse to be used on the mission field. You could have the gift of hospitality or be an electrician, or a teacher or a building contractor or maybe you’re a “support” person. It takes all of us to improve the lives of others and to spread the good news of Jesus. Don’t underestimate what you can contribute to people all over the world. Jesus’ “Great Commission” from Mark 16:15 is “Go into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.” That message wasn’t just for medical personnel or pastors, it was for all of us! And the message isn’t just for the “young.” Dorothy, one of the missionaries here, is 80 years old and her prayer request the other day was that God would show her where she should serve next. Wow! What an inspiration to all of us.

If you are interested in expanding your horizons, following the Great Commission and improving the lives of others, talk to Ben or me – we can point you in the right direction (or check out the SIM website at www.SIM.org ) I’ll even pass along some bug spray!

If you are a physician, or know someone who is, Galmi is in desperate need of general surgeons, plastic surgeons, ob/gyns, neonatologists, and internal medicine and family practice doctors. All are needed short term or long term. Ben and I know many people who would be eternally grateful for your help.

Thank you for reading and responding to my blogs! Writing has been cathartic for me, and the many posts and emails I’ve received from you have gotten me through the rough spots of our stay in Africa. I sincerely thank you!

It’s so hot in Galmi that a summer in Ohio sounds appealing! See you soon!

Carrie

7 comments:

Heibel said...

......wait a minute.....hey, you really are in Africa! When you said that you were going to Africa, I thought you were just being facetious. Yea, I know just what you mean about the heat, I can really empathize with you when it comes to hot weather: Just yesterday it was almost 82 degrees and I almost broke a sweat in the 10 feet between my air-conditioned car and the door at Dairy Queen,
and then again when I had to go all the way to my mailbox to pick up a movie from Blockbuster
(hmmmm, I probably shouldn't have mentioned a cold, creamy, chocolatey, delicious, frozen delicacy like ice cream, should I? I really hope that didn't make you feel bad! But boy was it HOT outside!!! Did I mention the fact that it was almost 82 degrees?!?!).
Reading over all of your blogs, it really sounds like you have it made! You're staying in a "compound" with your own grocery store, pool, and petting zoo with animal rides (Sounds a little like Neverland. Is there a chimp named Bubbles running around?). You have people doing your laundry and delivering Mimosa's and chicken dinners to your door, I mean, just yesterday I had to wait almost 29 minutes for a pizza (Oh, I probably shouldn't have said that either, should I?). You have heart-shaped ice cubes, you eat breakfast, play, eat lunch, take naps, and then swim for the rest of the evening. You have a swing-set and a teeter. You're dress was handmade by a local tailor for 6 dollars (although that makes you sound a little more like Kathy Lee than Princess Di, or the Queen!). Wow, you really do have it made! I have to go all the way to the meat market to get steaks, and you, all you do is wait for the meat motorcyclist to drive by.
Truth be told, as good as I can make Africa sound, I still wouldn't want to be there! I don't envy the hardships that your family is going through. What ALL of you are doing in Africa is very admirable. Yea, Ben is actually saving lives, and doing things that 99.99 percent of people can't do - but you and the boys facilitate it. Whether you know it or not, I am sure that the Africans are watching you and they see your emotions for them, and they see that you are there with 3 boys (away from your homeland with all of it's riches), and they probably realize that you are in Africa for them, and that alone can speak "Gospels" to them (pun intended).
We can't wait to see all of you, hear more stories, and see all of your pictures. You really need to do a follow-up blog after you get home so that we can all get a little closure. By the way, Graeters is closed for at least another week.

Stacey said...

We can't wait to see you and hear even more about Galmi!

mike and pam gregory said...

hey girl! I'm so not trendy...Didn't know this was how to respond to your postings! Better late than never! We've been praying for all of you and can't wait to see you! I give you alot of credit, I'm not in any hurry to haul my three kids off to 100 degree plus weather with no air condition! I've read all of your blogs and am convinced you should take up writing! You had me in tears several times from humor and non humor! We'll see you soon and will be praying for your safe travels! One question... You shared the bra remedy but I need to know what you do about inner thigh chaffing in 100 plus degrees? Bike shorts under the moo moo 24/7? I'll expect to see you in your new sunday best real soon!

Joan White said...

Amazing stats- thanks for sharing them. Can't wait to see you soon. By the way, JJ thinks that if you go back, Ben will surely need a backup er doc or surgeon to help out!!! Sounds like a good team to me. We'll be praying for safe travels!!! Better check your luggage to make sure there isn't a stowaway lizard!! Love you!!

Jane Elliott said...

Mark you are so mean to your sister!

We are praying for you and will continue praying after you arrive home-please continue your blog so we can continue to laugh and cry with the White family.

You are so right-if you are called to a mission field you sould go-God can use you to do anything-anywhere-your parents told me that-just go-just your being there makes an impact-they were right weren't they?

Praying for safe travels-luggage that gets on the same plane and a trip to Graeters upon arrival at the Cincinnati airport.
Thanks for letting us live vicariously thru your adventure-we loved it. I can't wait till you go back!

Tami Heiss said...

I found your blog off Stacey P's blog! Can't wait to read all of your postings! I am so impressed you went to Africa!

www.caringbridge.org/oh/amberheiss

Jeannie said...

Happen to check out your blog this morning and really appreciated reading this post. Thanks for coming and giving yourself here at Galmi. I do hope you'll be back again. With God all things are possible.